[Borgbackup] Recovery from missing segments

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Jul 17 17:09:20 EDT 2018

> Not that anyone cares, but I went ahead with a 'borg check --repair'.
> It took over 3 days, thankfully with no network issues in that time.
> The most stressful part was I had no good way to gauge how far it
> progressed.

Did you use --progress? Your borg version (on client, on server)?

>> Hypothetical mode would simply
>> check the filesystem for the expected segment files, and if not found,
>> replace the associated chunks in the index with zero chunks so the
>> chunks/segments get recreated at the next backup (assuming source data
>> is still present).
>
> On second thought, I may also need it to do something like check the
> expected length of segment files in case a new chunk was added to an
> existing segment, but the segment was "rolled back".  The more I think
> about this though, what I'd probably want is a way to invalidate any
> chunk created after a certain date/time.  Not sure if this is
> possible.

If borg check --repair determines that a chunk is not there any more, it
puts a same-length replacement chunk there, but it still remembers the
healthy chunkid (content hash). See my other post from today about how
it can later use that for healing.

--
GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393