[Borgbackup] Corrupted segment reference count - corrupted index or hints

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Wed Dec 20 18:04:33 EST 2017

> I have a problem which surprises me. At the end of a create, I have a
> Local Exception with the error in the title.

Yup. borg create is actually a 2-step process:

1. create archive, commit
2. compact segments, commit

It crashes for you in step 2, thus the archive is valid and committed.

There might be just some non-compact segments because compact_segments
crashes, which is unusual.

You can try to delete the repo_dir/hints.* file and run borg check
--repair afterwards USING BORG 1.1.4 OR A BUGFIXED VERSION OF 1.1.3.

Do not use an unfixed 1.1.x as it might damage your archives (see my

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393