[Borgbackup] Question on Repository Best Practices

Alex JOST jost+lists at dimejo.at
Wed Nov 8 03:54:17 EST 2017

Am 07.11.2017 um 16:41 schrieb Marc Pope:
> I am slightly confused on the best practice for a repository:
>
> For simplicity, say I want to backup:
>
> /var /etc   (once a day, keeping the last 7 days)
> /data    (every hour, keeping 12 hours, 7 days, 4 weeks)
>
> Would it be best practice to use 1 or 2 repos? Is it ok to use 2
> different repos per client? This will also be backing up to a remote
> server.

You can start 2 backups with 2 different prefixes. That way you can
enforce 2 different prune policies.

borg create ::var_{now} /var /etc
borg create ::data_{now} /data

borg prune --keep-daily=7 --prefix var_
borg prune --keep-hourly=12 --keep-daily=7 --keep-weekly=4 --prefix data_

Of course you can use 2 different repositories as well. Its' up to you,
whatever fits you best. Keep in mind though that you loose the advantage
of deduplication across all data, which will probably make 2 separated
repositories bigger than 1 combined repository.

--
Alex JOST