[Borgbackup] impossible to mount encrypted repository (via fuse)

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Wed Oct 18 21:13:28 EDT 2017

> NOTE: after the borg mount command the folder 'home' is created which I
> was unable to access via bash.

Don't use "sudo" (just "borg mount ...").

Or if you do, use the fuse mount option that gives other users access,
see "man fuse".

> However, with a file manager, started as
> root, I can see that there is a folder within 'home' with the name
> '.ecryptfs' -- which, in turn, contains further folders and files
> (mostly encrpyted).

These are encrypted files from ecrypts ("encrypted home directories" in
Ubuntu).

If you backed them up that way, this is expected (and completely
unrelated to borg's encryption).

> david at lubuntu:~$ sudo borg extract --dry-run
> /media/veracrypt1/home_repository/backup::lubuntu-2017-10-17-2251
> ~/borg_extract_folder/

That's not the way it works.

The param right to the repo::archive is NOT the path to extract to, but
a pattern to match the files you want to extract. And this is why you
get this:

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393