[Borgbackup] variable purge policies per filesystem tree

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sat Sep 16 12:13:22 EDT 2017

> I suspect this is impossible because of the way borg is designed, but is
> there a way to have different prune policies for different parts of the
> filesystem?

No, not possible. It either deletes the whole archive or not, based on
its timestamp and your pruning policy.

> For example, I would need to purge /var/log faster than the rest of the
> filesystem. I would rather drop those after a week, but I would keep
> other parts of the filesystem indefinitely.

I've seen that in your cron.daily script and I think the way you do it
there (separate archives for logs and other stuff) is as good as it gets
right now.

> Now the only question that remains is - how do i purge the logs from
> those automated archives...

The only way to modify an existing archive will be "borg recreate" with
different exclude param in borg 1.1.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393