[Borgbackup] Question about borg remote/local setup

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Thu Sep 14 14:44:49 EDT 2017

> symlink /usr/local/borg/data to /mnt/efs_borg/data.  That way all data
> is on the EFS share and the other index-related stuff is on the local drive.

Please note that for "repokey" encryption mode (default), the file
containing the key (<repo>/config) is, in your case, on your local disk.

For recovery, you must have the passphrase and the key, so be careful to
have a backup (see borg key ...).

> I back up /mnt/efs_prod and then I back up everything in /usr/local/borg
> and exclude /usr/local/borg/data.  Then, for easy restores, I tar
> everything in /usr/local/borg except data and copy that tar file to
> /mnt/efs_borg/.

Ah, ok, then you have the config (key) in there.

> This seems to work great.  Any thoughts, concerns, etc, about using it
> like this with the index files local and the data folder remote?

As long as the filesystems work as they should and you can always
recover data, key and passphrase, this seems ok.

> Can I rebuild an index from just the data folder on NFS?

All caches and index files can be rebuilt from repo/data.
It may take a while though, depending on repo size.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393