[Borgbackup] Enhancement idea: archive tags

Billy Charlton billy at okbecause.com
Thu Mar 9 18:43:59 EST 2017

After spending so much time in the git universe, I find myself wishing I
could apply additional tags to specific borg archives.

I know borgbackup is primarily a backup solution and not source control.
However, I do find borg's deduplication capabilities really useful in ways
it may not have been originally intended! I envision archiving multiple
versions of very large files -- sort of like git-lfs or git-fat, but with
real deduplication. And then fetching archives using tags such as "latest".

This could take form as a new command: `borg tag`:

Create a new tag and point it to an existing archive:
  borg tag [tag-name] [repo::archive-name]

Delete a tag from a repo:
  borg tag -d [tagname] [repo]

List all tags and the archives they point to
  borg tag --list [repo]

Is this out of scope for this project? If so, is there perhaps another tool
that is well-suited to this use case?