[Borgbackup] BorgBackup Mac compatibility, e.g. for Photos library

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sun Nov 27 08:29:30 EST 2016

Hi Douglas,

(reply inline)

On 27.11.2016 13:27, Douglas Pierce-Price wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm thinking of using BorgBackup on a Mac. Is there anything I need to
> be careful of in terms of compatibility with the Mac file system, or
> will it just work OK? (e.g. metadata, resource forks, whatever)

ACLs, resource forks and flags are supported on OSX (cf.
http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#features-platforms
). AFAIK these are all filesystem specialities OSX has.

> Probably the most important thing I want to backup is the Photos
> library. Will BorgBackup handle this correctly?

Probably. I don't know much about OSX; if all data the application needs
are in the backed up repositories, then there shouldn't be a problem.

> Does the fact that this is a Package make any difference?
>
> Or, would I run into problems if the Photos application is running and
> the Photos library is therefore open when I run BorgBackup? Would I need
> to close the library before running?

It probably has some kind of embedded database (perhaps sqlite or
something similar?), so it likely needs to be closed / not actively used
during the backup.

As with any backup it is a good idea to try a *real* restore and see if
everything works out as expected.

> Many thanks!

Cheers, Marian