[Borgbackup] web list of multiple repositories

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon May 23 12:47:48 EDT 2016

> Has anyone written a read only web interface similar to borgweb that can
> list multiple repositories on a single host?  I'd like a central
> location that I can send others to look at to confirm backups are
> running,

Assuming that logs are somehow stored in a specific path that depends on
the repo / host name, that  sounds like a relatively simple extension of
borgweb (e.g. /var/logs/borg/<hostname>/*.log).

Would be quite some work though as the user interface needs to be
changed and UX should be not worse afterwards. Also client (JS) / server
(Python) interface likely would need some extension.

But it sounds still in scope of borgweb (which does not intend to do
everything, just very simple tasks like checking logs and starting a
backup).

Of course, one could also just use multiple borgweb and link them from a
simple index page.

> and to show non-technical people the high level statistics.

Maybe that also. Would need to get that info from the logs.

> Offtopic:  I'd also like to figure out a good way to check the last time
> a successful borg backup run happened for a given server (ideally within
> Zabbix, our monitoring system)

A simple way might be to either:

- check / remember the return code returned by the borg command in the
script where you invoke borg, or
- log the return code (using --show-rc option) and analyze the logs later.

There is a section in the docs about the return codes / log levels.

> I'm not the best coder out there so rewriting the borgweb interface
> feels beyond me.

You could open an issue in the borgweb tracker with above ideas and see
what happens. :) Putting a bounty on it might help.

> My way of attacking this, if no one else has already,
> would be to iterate over each repository in /backup and run borg list,
> capture that output and run borg info on each archive that hasn't been
> run previously.

Guess I'ld rather run borg create with --list --stats --show-rc then you
already have that info in your logs, plus the rc code.

Also, running "borg check" or "borg extract --dry-run" now and then
might be good for confirming everything is good.

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393