[Borgbackup] Deduplication of tar files - doesn't seem to be giving good performance

public at enkore.de public at enkore.de
Thu Apr 21 07:41:08 EDT 2016

On 21.04.2016 11:03, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
> On 04/21/2016 01:58 PM, public at enkore.de wrote:
>> Since Borg doesn't know the structure of a tar file my guess is that
>> changed metadata that's stored in-line with file data will make
>> deduplication of the file data impossible for files that are smaller
>> than 1-2 avg chunk sizes (>2 MB).
>
> Oh very nice; I had not thought of this but it makes perfect sense!
>
>> For this specific use case I'd recommend using the old chunker params
>> which should allow better deduplication; still: unchanged, small files
>> with updated metadata won't deduplicate.
>>
>> When deduplicating actual file systems this doesn't seem to be as
>> troublesome ; my guess here is that most file systems tend to put inodes
>> (with the often-changing metadata) in one place and file data in
>> another, hence metadata updates don't affect data deduplication as much.
>
> My guess would be that borg itself "knows" what is metadata and what is
> file data, and has different storage/dedup mechanisms for them.

My bad, I meant to write "deduplicating actual file system *images*".

When Borg makes archives from a file system (not FS image) then the
physical layout of the FS doesn't matter, it reads files/dirs with
normal APIs like most programs would do.

File contents directly go into chunks, metadata goes into the item
(=files, dirs) stream, which is chunked with a different, very
fine-grained chunker.

Cheers, Marian