[Borgbackup] sending --list output to stdout instead of stderr

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 21:17:22 EDT 2016

On 16/03/16 05:53, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
>> When using "borg create -v -s -p --list ...", would it be possible to
>> send the output of the "--list" to stdout instead of stderr?
>>
>> I would like to do some post-processing on the list output, while also
>> seeing progress (-v, -s, -p) on the screen as it runs.
>
> We usually use stderr for log output because stdout might be used for connecting borg to other tools via a pipe (and it will transport file data then), like:
>
> borg extract --stdout ... | dd of=/dev/sdx
>
> stats output is also logged as I expect many people wanting to have that in their backup logs. So it's currently not possible to write this to different files / channels.

Problem solved.  Using the logging conf fixed things for me.  Now I get
the "-p" I want to see on screen while still getting the list of files
to process later.  I don't see the summary stats on screen anymore but I
can do a "tail -15" or so of the logfile if I need that.

> I also do not expect that functionality for the future, except if someone comes up with an easy system to configure and control that.

Naah; you already have it.  I just handn't looked at the logging stuff,
not being familiar with that config file format at all.

regards
sitaram