[Borgbackup] Backup to remote repository format

Stan Armstrong mfseeker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:48:10 EST 2016

OK, I have happily constructed some simple scripts to backup, check, and
purge various local directories from one disk to a local repository on a
different disk. They all work as expected, both manually and via crontabs.

Today, I returned to the task of making borg backups to a different
machine on my LAN. I was able to create a repository on the remote
machine by following the example in the documentation; however, I cannot
find an example of the proper format for a borg create command that will
result in a new archive in the remote repository. (I do have borg
installed on the remote machine, as can be seen from the success I had
in creating an archive there from my main machine.)

When I try "borg create -v
barbara at Barbara-office/media/Backup-S/StoB::TV
/media/2TB-1/dlna_library/1-TV", I get:

"Repository /root/barbara at Barbara-office/media/Backup-S/StoB does not
exist." I can't get rid of the initial "/root/".

["ssh barbara at Barbara-office" at my terminal takes me to "$
barbara at Barbara-office" as expected.]

The proper way to do this must be described somewhere in the
documentation, but I haven't been able to find it.

Can you give me an example I can follow?