[Baypiggies] This Wed at 6:30PST - learn 2 approaches to building full-stack web applications with only Python

Grace Law grace at pybay.com
Mon Sep 13 13:44:43 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

One of the cool things about organizing these meetups is that we get to
meet amazing people building technologies that redefine everything. And, we
get to bring you these speakers from all over the world to interact with
you, at our virtual conferencing platform. Okay, enough of the commercials.

Don't miss this Wed's line-up: RSVP now
<https://live.remo.co/e/sf-python-september>

Whether you are doing Web dev or not, you'll benefit from this content and
speaking with the speakers.

🔎 Short talk (~15 mins + Q&A)

*PyWebIO: a Python-based NoJS web app development framework by Helin Cao*

JavaScript is the dominant language in web frontend development. However,
not every Pythonista wants to learn JavaScript. How to empower them to
launch web apps? PyWebIO is an open-source library that allows developers
to build full-stack web applications with only Python. Thus, "No
Javascript" (NoJS) is needed. In this talk, we will introduce the library
and show some demos.

🔎 Main talk (~40 mins + Q&A)

*Anvil: Full-Stack Web With Nothing But Python by Meredydd Luff*

Building a modern web app requires so much: HTML, CSS, JS, Python, SQL,
React, Bootstrap, Webpack, Flask... What if we could build a better
abstraction?

Our answer is Anvil (https://anvil.works): a full-stack Python environment
where everything is a Python object, from your UI components to your
database rows. In this talk, I'll walk you through how and why we
constructed this new approach to the web.

We'll start with a question: Why is web programming hard? It's because your
data takes so many forms: database rows, Python objects, JSON on REST, JS
objects, HTML DOM, and finally pixels. Most of a web developer's job is
translating between these awkwardly different representations. Frameworks
like Django help, but now you have a stack of leaky abstractions: web
frameworks, ORMs, JS frameworks, CSS frameworks, build tools... These
frameworks help you go faster, but they double the amount you need to
know!So I'll show our stab at an answer: A framework where everything is a
Python object, requests to the server are function calls, and Python is a
browser-side language. I'll talk about running Python in the browser. I'll
talk about full-stack autocompletion. There will even be live coding.

Bio:Meredydd is one of the original creators of the Anvil web framework. He
did his PhD in building usable programming systems, and has worked on
projects from messaging apps to the Linux kernel. He’s based in Cambridge
(the one on the Cam, not the on the Charles).

Don't miss the opportunity to pick these speakers' brain this Wed Sept 15: RSVP
now <https://live.remo.co/e/sf-python-september>

Network with speakers and Pythonistas at 6:30p PST, talks start at 7p.

*👉 How does one network / socialize at a virtual event? *

With remo.co, you can join different virtual tables to chat with speakers,
find out about how others are using Python, and start your own discussion
topic. Turn on your mic and video when you arrive, and wola, just like an
in-person event, you can chat with folks at your table. Prefer a different
conversation? Double click to join another table or search the participant
list, DM them via in app chat to your table for a reunion.

If you can't make it this wed, Join us at PyBay, OUTDOOR Python Conference
at a cool food truck park in SF this October 9.

Line up includes Yury Selivano, Michael Kennedy, Lizzie Siegle and more.
Get early bird tickets now on pybay.com

This meetup event is produced by:

SF Python, a volunteers-run organization aiming to foster the Python
Community in the Bay Area.

Video Sponsor is IBM
For over a century, IBM has led world-changing progress by uniting,
empowering, and relentlessly reinventing itself and their customers. The
IBM Data Science Community is the place for data scientists and developers
to learn, share, and engage with their peers and industry renowned data
scientists. Join the IBM Data Science Community and participate in shaping
the digital future

Video conferencing platform sponsor is SAUCE LABS
Sauce Labs ensures the world’s leading apps and websites work flawlessly on
every browser, OS and device. Our award-winning Continuous Testing Cloud
provides development and quality teams with instant access to the test
coverage, scalability, and analytics they need to rapidly deliver a
flawless digital experience.

Grace Law

PyBay Conference Chair and SF Python Organizer

grace at pybay.com

SF Python <https://sfpythonmeetup.com> is a volunteer-run organization
aiming to foster the Python Community in the Bay Area. Join us at PyBay,
OUTDOOR Python Conference at a cool food truck park in SF this October.