[Baypiggies] Meetup in SF: Designing secure systems with Object-Capabilities­, Python, and Cap'n Proto

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon May 23 17:52:15 EDT 2016

Hi Baypiggies!

I work at Sandstorm nowadays, and we make an open source, self-hostable
alternative to Google Docs/Google Apps For Work. It's based heavily on a
now-widely-used security architecture called object-capability security.
Drew is giving a talk about the what & how of object capabilities in Python
library at PyCon, and he'll also talk about it at an upcoming Sandstorm
meetup.

So I'd love to see Baypiggies in attendance!

Location: San Francisco: ThoughtWorks, 814 Mission St, 5th Floor, San
Francisco, CA

Date & Time: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM

RSVP here: (free)
http://www.meetup.com/Sandstorm-SF-Bay-Area/events/231065150/

Details follow. Thanks!

Join us for a talk from Sandstorm core dev Drew Fisher about an
object-oriented programming inspired technique for designing secure systems
called object-capability security.

Drew's talk will be followed by a Q&A session with opportunities to chat
with Sandstorm's community before and after.

*Designing secure systems with Object-Capabilities, Python, and Cap'n Proto
by Drew Fisher.  *

Object-capability security is a technique for designing systems that lets
us apply object-oriented design principles to security policies, reducing
cognitive overhead and risk of errors that lead to vulnerabilities. In this
talk, Drew will explain capabilities, how they work, and what cool things
they make possible for your systems, with real-world examples from
Sandstorm.io.

This talk will demonstrate implementing a trivial remote 4-function
calculator server with pycapnp (a library which provides Python bindings
for Cap'n Proto), and then show how you might implement more complicated
services, like the ones we use in Sandstorm.io for file access and HTTP.

To read more about capability-based security:
https://sandstorm.io/how-it-works#capabilities

To read more on Cap'n Proto: https://capnproto.org/

Hope to see you there!

*Schedule:*