[Baypiggies] Reminder: Meeting next Week: Using Python to Analyze Datacubes in Astronomy

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Jan 22 00:29:07 EST 2016

Here is your friendly reminder that we will be meeting a week from tonight
at our old haunt at LinkedIn.

We have the big room and food is catered.

Note that we start at 7:30 instead of 7 due to scheduling restrictions for
the room.

We started this year a little rocky. So, let's show our support for our
first meeting of 2016.

http://baypiggies.net/

Thursday, January 28, 2016 Meeting

Topic: Using Python to Analyze Datacubes in Astronomy

Speaker: David Clark

Abstract:

In this talk, I will discuss how I used Python to extract scientific
information from a data cube. I used the astronomical instrument, NIFS
(Near-Infrared Integral Field Spectrometer), on the 8-m Gemini North
telescope in Hawaii to acquire observations of the stunning, hourglass
planetary nebula, HB 12. This instrument spreads light out into a spectrum
over a small region of the sky. The output data is in the form of a data
cube, with sky coordinates along the x and y directions and wavelength
along the z direction. Spectra of planetary nebulae are important for
understanding their structure and composition. I will discuss the Python
scripts I used to analyze these data. Additionally, this talk will also
cover the plotting library APLpy, which can be used to make publication
quality figures.

Speaker:

David Clark has used Python extensively during his career as an astronomer.
He graduated with a BA in Physics from Colby College in 2001 and received a
doctorate in astronomy from the University of Florida in 2007. His Ph.D.
thesis focused on a study of star cluster populations hosting black holes
in a nearby galaxy. After Florida, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow and
then investigator/resident astronomer for seven years at the Institute of
Astronomy in Ensenada, Mexico. His accomplishments include creating a
database and on-line interface for a catalog of over 600 planetary nebulae
as well as studying the shapes and kinematics of planetary nebulae.
Currently, he is working as a data science consultant as he transitions
careers from astronomy to data science.
Meetup available to register
http://www.meetup.com/silicon-valley-python/events/228104282/

Meeting Schedule:

   - 7:30 pm Networking
   - 8:00 pm Presentation
   - 9:30 pm Event ends

Location:                 LinkedIn

2025 Stierlin Ct., Mountain View, CA (map
<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2025+Stierlin+Ct.%2C+Mountain+View%2C+CA%2C+us>
)
Meeting Room:       Unite (Look for signs directing to building.)