[Baypiggies] Companies moving to Python 3?

Fahrzin Hemmati fahhem at google.com
Fri Oct 9 23:00:46 CEST 2015

We've seen something similar with 3.1 -> 3.5, as some breaking changes were
undone, like % formatting. Eventually, it should be possible to just run
2to3 on a reasonably written codebase and get code that works on 3.5+
automatically. We also need a 2to3 for c extensions (maybe based on Clang,
like a clang-format) to deal with the C API changes.

But, until it's that easy and you can up-convert all your dependencies, I
agree that no company with real work to do will switch. I've seen plenty of
startups start with 3, but that required a ton of work around dependency
choosing and eventually they regretted the decision and some even switched
back. A few had little enough to do in python that they stuck with it.