[Baypiggies] Alternatives to Python Fabric for SSH remote execution for Python 3?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 2 16:36:31 EST 2015

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/plumbum

Thank you for the pointer to this.  I downloaded this package and tried it
out.
While it does work, I found the plumbum API to be a bit clunky compared to
Fabric.
Also, for my use-case, plumbum kept failing until I installed sshpass, a
package independent of plumbum.
That wasn't too bad, but I still found it clunky.

So I have to agree with Tiejun Li, that Fabric is better.

So it's not the best solution, but what I am going to do for new projects
that I work on is either:
   (1) stick with Python 2.7 + Fabric when I want to have things work "out
of the box"
   (2) for environments where I have more flexibily, use Python 3, and run
a patched version
         of Fabric using this patchset:
https://github.com/fabric/fabric/issues/1378
   (3) if I am totally in a bind, I will use plumbum

I've actually done (2), and while not ideal, it actually works quite well.

Thank you!

--
Craig