[Baypiggies] where to go for Python contractors?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Oct 8 08:20:36 CEST 2012

Monte Davidoff <davidoff at alluvialsw.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> On 10/7/12 7:47 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > So I don't get caught flat-footed by questions like this in the
> > future?  Where would you point people?  oDesk?  guru.com?  Is there a
> > good local house?
>
> One source for Python consultants (such as myself) is the Baypiggies
> mailing list (subject to the same terms as job postings:
> Python-related, Bay Area, no recruiters).

Thanks, Monte, I've used Baypiggies myself with great success to fill
positions at PARC.  But my friend is a businessman, not a hacker.  He
wouldn't know about Baypiggies, or for that matter, about Python.  He
doesn't want to hire someone, he wants to buy a custom program.  He can
describe exactly what he needs, but only in terms of effects, not
implementation.  I don't see how he'd interact successfully with
Baypiggies -- he could never "make it clear how Python will be used on
the job".

But there must be some services that make it easy for software artisans
to find clients, and vice/versa?  Hacker Dojo, perhaps?  Perhaps this
is too off-topic for this list, though?  If so, I apologize.

Bill