[Baypiggies] Glen's talk on Virtualization

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Dec 4 16:02:58 CET 2012

Lyle Ryan,

    I think this subject is pretty large and I have a habit of trying to
squeeze way too much into an hour (and I gab too quickly and too much). As
this is being organized a bit better and I have a more realistic
understanding of what I'll be able to provide, I don't think we can do the
vmware related parts for this talk.

     However, I work on a team that has two products. And one of their
products is actually a complete python product that has an engine that
interfaces with/creates KVM, Xen, instances amont many other things. That
product also interfaces with VMWare. This won't be part of the talk. It was
clear as this started gelling that I needed to focus on Python specifically
and there's a lot of that.

      So, here's the new game plan:

1) Hit a survey of all of the main concepts of virtualization. This is a
general background and is not Python specific
2) Specifically introduce/review in more depth two Python "products":
     - virtualenv
     - Reviewing EC2/Using Boto to create an EC2 instance

I will mention, on a closing slide or two the company that I work for and
the product that I'm talking about (touching on the VMWare piece -- but
barely touching).

I think this is all we can do within the time frame and that may be pushing
it as well. However, if this is true, then we can make new talks on other
topics of peoples interest down the road.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Glen

--

"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,

--Henry David Thoreau