[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Elizabeth Leddy elizabeth.leddy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:20:25 CET 2011

I want to chime in on the insurance part too, and from a "young" persons
perspective. I went solo and got disaster insurance since I'm super healthy
and active. It covered no maintenance, and was an 8500 max out of pocket,
but it was $60 a month. Lo and behold I got into a bike accident and ended
up with a $32,000 medical bill. You would think that all I owed would be
8500 (which I had diligently saved up) but $12,000 later and I still
am battling the bills.  These insurance companies will find any excuse not
to pay things, even if things happen in emergency, so BE CAREFUL. And
be diligent - you have to be ready to fight these guys and their croons. The
cheap stuff is enticing but its classic "too good to be true". I hired a
medical biller (with cake and cookies) to review the contract with the next
company I went with. Or ask on this list - I'm sure we all have opinions on
who sucks (e.g I recommend avoiding anthem blue cross... evil....).

I will say that going out on my own, more than anything, has lead me to
realize what a disaster the medical system is. It's only when you actually
see bills coming in that you realize what is being spent on your care. For
that eye opening chance I am grateful. In theory, the reform will help us
out by giving us a [small] tax credit since we are our own employers. Who
knows what will happen before 2012 though. The change that will affect
things this year, is that you can only write off medical costs that are >
10% of your total income (vs 7.5% last year). So if you get sick, scrounge
up those receipts and hold on tight.

In the meanwhile, you can join the freelancers union and check to see if
there is insurance in your area (dental too):
http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/explore/

Or just marry an illegal citizen so they can get a job with insurance and
you can go on their plan. Win-win. I'm sure republicans would just love that
idea.

Liz