[Baypiggies] [ANN - Py4Science at Cal] IPython: recent developments

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 02:23:27 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

here's the info for next week.  I hope to see you there, we're very
excited about the recent IPython improvements and look forward to the
feedback from your suffering (er, testing :)

Regards,

Py4Science @ Cal meeting
When: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 2pm.
Where: Redwood Center's conference room: 508-20 Evans Hall
Title: IPython: recent developments
Speaker: Fernando Perez
Abstract:
I'll present, completely informally, a demo of the recent work we have
done on IPython which brings a host of improvements to the interactive
computing workflow in IPython.  This code has not been released yet
officially but is available on github already:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/newkernel

I'll provide a description of the underlying design and technology
we're using, as well as a demo of the user-facing improvements.  You
are welcome to (and encouraged) to bring your own laptop and install
it in advance if you want to play with it.  Being such
development-state code, it currently needs to be installed from
source, but if you are comfortable with this approach by all means
give it a try.  You will need:

ZeroMQ and its python bindings, Pyzqm, version 2.0.8:

http://www.zeromq.org/local--files/area:download/zeromq-2.0.8.tar.gz
http://github.com/downloads/zeromq/pyzmq/pyzmq-2.0.8.tar.gz

The installation instructions for these can be found here:

http://www.zeromq.org/area:download
http://www.zeromq.org/bindings:python

PyQt:
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download

And the above branch of IPython.

Once installed, run the 'ipythonqt' script.  Try --help to see the
different flags you can use to start it, and once you have it running,
*first* type '%guiref' to read a quick introduction to its basic
features.