[Baypiggies] Another newbie question... debuggers

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Sun Mar 7 23:49:18 CET 2010

Keith Dart wrote:
> Also, I'm curious about what problems could not be debugged with pdb?
Previous problem was a python core dump.  I got it narrowed down to a
call into pyyaml, but the pyyaml people claim it's not theirs.  I
haven't taken the time to debug it further.  I coded around it instead.

Current problem I don't yet know.  I can usually get it to a particular
place in the code and then pdb ceases to be responsive.  Coding around
this one is more problematic since I don't really know what the problem
is yet.  Outside of pdb, the code simply appears to hang.  Just this
minute, it looks like a timing issue in twisted since strace says the
hang is on "select" with only 1 descriptor, (I'm expecting several), but
I'll likely have a different answer an hour from now.

--rich