[Baypiggies] overriding boolean and,or operators?

Stephen Lacy slacy at slacy.com
Mon Jul 12 20:21:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

According to http://docs.python.org/library/operator.html boolean operators
==, <, >, etc. can be overridden via __eq__(), __lt__(), __gt__(), etc.

They also mention *bitwise* and/or operators via __and__() and __or__().

But, I'd like to override the *boolean* operators 'and' and 'or'.  Is this
possible?

Background:

I'm experimenting with a library that takes a python expression like this:

"(a == b) or (c and d)"

And instead of evaluating it via the interpreter, creates (and returns) a
representation of said boolean decision tree such that it can be evaluated
dynamically and/or converted to some other form, like prefix or postfix
(this is just an example and for my own exploration and deeper understanding
of operator overrides).

I can get this to work if I use the syntax "(a == b) | (c & d)" but I would
prefer to use the more pythonic and syntactically correct "and" and "or".
Is this possible?

Steve