[Baypiggies] If a picture is worth a thousand words #pycon is worth 6918 tweets.

Craig Smith craigfrazersmith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 01:36:38 CET 2010

Hi:

I was following pycon on twitter this weekend and realized there was no
way I could keep up with all the tweets going by. Also a twitter
robo-troll (welcome to the future) was irritating me more than it should
have. So yesterday I downloaded all the #pycon tagged tweets and pulled
out just the ones that had been retweeted by other people figuring those
were the most interesting. My theory is that the more something is
retweeted the more interesting it should be. Without further ado the top
10 tweets of #pycon 2010 were:

10 - RT @gvanrossum: tinyurl.com/pypyslides #pycon #pypy
10 - RT @VanL: The first video from #pycon 2010 just hit
http://pycon.blip.tv!
11 - RT @dabeaz: Understanding the Python GIL Slides and demo are up.
http://www.dabeaz.com/GIL #pycon
12 - RT @mpirnat: "Postgres is available if you need a database; MySQL
is available if you don't." -- Brandon Rhodes at #pycon talk
13 - RT @gvanrossum: BDFL etiquette: Saying hi shaking hands: yes.
Photo-op: no. Friendly chat: yes. Idea pitch > 15 seconds: expect me to
get rude. #pycon
16 - RT @spyced: "What every developer should know about database
scalability" #pycon slides aka the case for #nosql: http://bit.ly/96fFZ0
16 - RT @gvanrossum: Test your web apps with Ping's scrape.py:
http://bit.ly/dhQdx6 #pycon // looking freaking great
23 - RT @voidspace: YouTube is the second largest search site on the
internet and is pure Python. #pycon
47 - RT @gvanrossum: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Packaging -
http://guide.python-distribute.org/ #python #pycon
63 - RT @gvanrossum: Unladen Swallow is a go! #pycon #python

-Craig Smith

p.s. These numbers are fairly accurate, but I'm not going to guarantee
that my regex caught all the retweets perfectly and I didn't handle
retweets of retweets well. This was afternoon goofing off with Python,
not production code. Caveat emptor.

p.p.s More fun with numbers:

Total tweets tagged #pycon from Wednesday morning-ish to Sunday
afternoon-ish: 6918
Number of unique usernames making those tweets: 1268.
Number of retweets (a subset of the total number) 1304.

Most retweeted people with counts:

(u'DanielMcGraw', 9)
(u'annaraven', 9)
(u'bradallen137', 9)
(u'dhdspeech', 9)
(u'ieure', 9)
(u'tsaylor', 9)
(u'Matt_Wilbanks', 10)
(u'jeremyhylton', 10)
(u'tarek_ziade', 10)
(u'joestump', 11)
(u'djangopony', 12)
(u'holdenweb', 12)
(u'pydanny', 12)
(u'activestate', 13)
(u'natea', 13)
(u'dabeaz', 14)
(u'ericholscher', 15)
(u'raymondh', 15)
(u'jessenoller', 17)
(u'justinlilly', 17)
(u'VanL', 20)
(u'garnaat', 20)
(u'johnderosa', 20)
(u'spyced', 22)
(u'mpirnat', 26)
(u'jacobian', 31)
(u'voidspace', 65)
(u'gvanrossum', 191)

People who made the most tweets tagged #pycon:
(u'gsiegman', 41)
(u'kevbo', 41)
(u'lukesneeringer', 41)
(u'b3ng0', 42)
(u'griggheo', 42)
(u'mpirnat', 43)
(u'wescpy', 43)
(u'bitprophet', 46)
(u'swheatley', 46)
(u'alfredodeza', 47)
(u'jessenoller', 52)
(u'voidspace', 52)
(u'petrillic', 54)
(u'alex_gaynor', 55)
(u'ryazwinski', 55)
(u'edleafe', 57)
(u'kcunning', 57)
(u'roachmj', 57)
(u'joshourisman', 58)
(u'offby1', 58)
(u'elpargo', 68)
(u'benjaminws', 70)
(u'pydanny', 71)
(u'mikemaccana', 81)
(u'dhdspeech', 83)
(u'annaraven', 86)
(u'PyconPads', 88)
(u'johnderosa', 97)
(u'twatotron', 185) <--- The irritating Bot.