[Baypiggies] Idea for talk: Pyjamas/Extended thread

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Aug 11 20:01:40 CEST 2010

For that matter, I would be interested in any/all of these as a quick talk.
This way I can decide if I want to learn more about them.

This lifted from Moshir Mikael's posting nin Linked-In Open Source Group
posting:

To take the most of value out of this discussion, I'm listing some
interesting Python projects that tend to bring front end to Python (or
Python to frontend):
1) Luban ( http://docs.danse.us/pyre/luban/sphinx/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fdocs%2Edanse%2Eus%2Fpyre%2Fluban%2Fsphinx%2F/0ZVL/>
 ) sophisticated and young UI framework, willing to unify UI programming,
still have to demonstrate that it plays well with web frameworks
2) pyjamas ( http://pyjs.org/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fpyjs%2Eorg%2F/Z8xC/>
 ) : a port of gwt, very smart, with will to unify ui programming like
Luban, but not too supported like this discussion shows ;) , pyjamas may be
hard to extend for newbies
3) pyvascript (
http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/blog/django/2010/07/PyvaScript-Pythonic-syntax-for-your-browser<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eallbuttonspressed%2Ecom%2Fblog%2Fdjango%2F2010%2F07%2FPyvaScript-Pythonic-syntax-for-your-browser/ddez/>
 ) : a python inspired langage for the browser, playing well with other
javascript framework (especially jquery)
4) toscawidgets (
http://toscawidgets.org/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Ftoscawidgets%2Eorg%2F/dC7d/>
 ) : a patchwork of various, rather incomplete javascript frameworks
wrappers, built on top of turbogears -- latest news 2008
5) mochikit :( http://mochikit.com/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fmochikit%2Ecom%2F/Ps-i/>
 ) : a javascript framework inspired from python
6) coffeescript (
http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fjashkenas%2Egithub%2Ecom%2Fcoffee-script%2F/fTlr/>
 ) : funny initiative to make javascript look like Python, early
development, supposed to play well with other js libs
7) skupt ( http://www.skulpt.org/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eskulpt%2Eorg%2F/vWYW/>
 ) : radical approach of python right in the browser, very beta
8) ironpython (
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight/index.shtml<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evoidspace%2Eorg%2Euk%2Fironpython%2Fsilverlight%2Findex%2Eshtml/p5m3/>
 ) : only for .net, Python in the browser with silverlight, early stage but
promising
9) diesel framework (
http://dieselweb.org/lib/<http://www.linkedin.com/e/6w4gmw-gcqh3yf7-44/plh/http%3A%2F%2Fdieselweb%2Eorg%2Flib%2F/8gmM/>
 ) suppose to provide a UI package, but no clue about it

Cheers,

Glen