[Baypiggies] Python course & CPP 3rd ed follow-up

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:49:03 CEST 2009

some of you asked for more information about my announcements at the
meeting tonite, so i'll just send out this follow-up. if you have any
specific questions, feel free to drop me a line!

1. (COMPREHENSIVE) INTRO+INTERMEDIATE PYTHON course
Mon-Wed, 2009 Nov 9-11, 9AM - 5PM

ANNOUNCEMENT:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-September/727571.html

WHERE: near the San Francisco Airport (SFO/San Bruno), CA

FLYER: http://starship.python.net/crew/wesc/flyerPP1nov09.pdf

the ANNOUNCEMENT link about will connect you to all of the above info
plus various free previews to find out about my lecture style. the
FLYER has both the sheet i handed out at the meeting plus will hook
you up with all course specific information such as topics covered,
cost, required HW/SW, prereqs, etc. there are discounts for multiple
registrations from the same company, those who are students and
secondary teachers, as well as those who have been laid off and can
provide proof such as unemployment, etc.

2. CORE PYTHON PROGRAMMING, 3rd edition

some of you may be familiar with my well-received Python book called
"Core Python Programming." it's apparently selling
pretty well so the publishers have asked me to work on the 3rd edition!

in particular, i'm looking for aspiring writers knowledgeable in
specific areas of Python development to help me out. if
you're passionate about your area of Python expertise and want to see
your name in print, this is your opportunity! i will be adding new
material as well as cleaning up existing chapters. i'm also open to
any addition comments or suggestions you may have regarding the
material.

NEW STUFF

- testing: test tools, automation, web testing, code coverage

- text processing: XML (SAX, DOM, ElementTree, etc.), JSON (json);
data/web scraping, parsing, best practices, etc.

- web frameworks: TurboGears2/Pylons, web2py, App Engine

- web services/cloud computing: ReSTful APIs, Google Docs,
documents/applications/RPCs in the cloud

UPDATE EXISTING

- database: SQLAlchemy update plus Elixir, ORM best practices,
non-relational databases

- extending/performance: SWIG, PyRex/Cython, Psyco

- Java: more Jython examples, preferably with Java-equivalents

at this point, i'm only in the research and preliminary drafts stage,
so don't fret that i'm going to force a
complete chapter out of you soon. :)

3. OTHER ACTIVITIES

as if my schedule wasn't full enough, i'm giving an additional *six*
Python-related talks this fall, four of which are in Silicon Valley:

2009 Silicon Valley CodeCamp
Sat-Sun, 2009 Oct 3-4
Los Altos Hills, CA, USA
http://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com/

a. What is Python?
b. Programming Microsoft Office using Python
c. Python 3: The Next Generation

PyCon PL 2009 conference
Fri-Sun, 2009 Oct 16-18
Ustron, Upper Silesia, Poland
http://pl.pycon.org

d. Objects, References, and Memory Model
e. Concurrency in Python Programming

Association for Computing Machinery
(ACM San Francisco Bay Area Chapter)
Sat, 2009 Nov 7
Cupertino, CA, USA
http://www.sfbayacm.org/?p=852

f. Introduction to Python (1-day seminar)

Hope to see you at any of these events!
- wesley
"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall, (c)2007, 2001
"Python Fundamentals" DVD, Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com