[Baypiggies] Eric Raymond likes Python

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 14 00:45:07 CEST 2009

> > A fairer comparison might be comparing OCaml to Psycho.
> >
> > Also, can Python do things that OCaml can't?
>
> LOL. Have you ever heard of "Turing-completeness", or "Church's Thesis"?

Edward,

Yeah I know all about the theoretical stuff;
I was looking for a commercial answer, aka "does anyone actually seriously use OCAML and for what?".
As far as I know noone much uses OCAML much, so a historical rant about Python 1.x from
an OCAML enthusiast doesn't carry much weight.
The only criticisms he made about OO back in Python 1.x, I was slightly curious whether there was
more or less to OCAML than meets the eye.

(By analogy, I looked into XSLT 18mths ago and that was overstyled nonsense, as in,
I could write clean functionally-equivalent Python with >10x fewer lines and much more clarity.)

Regards,
Stephen