[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

Seth Friedman sfseth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 04:28:25 CET 2009

+1 from me.

In my interviewing I *aggressively* sleuth for places that run as rockstar
kind of places (rather than collaborative / team / interteam oriented).   I
fail at that sometimes, maybe because there's a mix of thinking, or
companies are better at hiding their thinking than this post, whatever the
reason.   As I'm in a role entirely dependent on other teams, my team's
output is information, "rockstar" culture is precisely what I look for not
being there.  Most job posts are more careful about hiding it.

My first opinion of this job post is the one I still have: the company self
selected itself out of the pool of "top" potential employees, by my wholly
biased view on the topic.   If they think they're going to take over the
world because they aced some classes and convinced some people out of a
couple million bucks, good for them.   In my view that's not sufficient
model for a successful company, by whatever definition of success, maybe my
judgment is just "a place I want to work".

~s