[Baypiggies] Finding work

Elan elan.martinez at gmail.com
Thu May 21 01:17:56 CEST 2009

 <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote: "companies aren't always advertising all
their
jobs.  Beyond that, I think you need to figure out which companies use
Python and apply to them directly regardless of whether they're
advertising (I haven't quite gotten to that stage, but it's my next
step)."

Aahz, you are absolutely correct with this.  Many companies don't advertise
some/all/any of their available jobs.  This due to various reasons including
startups in "stealth mode" who don't want to widely publicize their
existence except through very targeted solicitations, or smaller companies
who don't have an internal HR or Recruiting team and who leave it up to
their very busy managers to get  job descriptions written and posted on the
careers site, or even larger companies that are constantly hiring the same
skill sets and so keep cycling the same job descriptions regardless or
whether or not the jobs are actually "active"... to name just a few reasons
jobs aren't always publicized or kept up to date.

So I am a recruiter (who has connected with and established relationships
with a few members here at BayPiggies) and I've adhered to the guidlines of
not posting any jobs here without first discussing with the moderator (which
I haven't even done to date mostly because I haven't thought of this forum
as a job marketing tool) and of course I wouldn't dream of posting unless I
was directly representing the company:-)... So in the spirit of community I
would like to suggest that perhaps we start a discussion thread where we
help fellow members of this forum who are actively researching new job
opportunities by providing information/intelligence/insight/etc. about any
Bay Area companies who widely use Python and who we know are hiring or who
have been hiring python developers.

If what Ive suggested is amenable to the Moderator and if it hasn't already
been done, then I would be happy to start the thread by providing the names
of 2-3 companies who I know are hiring or who have recently been hiring
python engineers, including a brief overview of the company and also the
best course of contact at the company for any interested parties.   It's a
tight market out there, let's embrace the spirit of community, and share
information that may more readily benefit someone else.   C'mon recruiters
too!  Karma isn't just a bunch of hooey.

Moderator? It's your call.  Assuming you give the go-ahead, I'll suggest the
following format:

-Company Name
-website if any
-location
-Brief overview of the company or as much info as can be divulged if it's in
"stealth"
-Known relevant jobs
-Best suggested contact (please only provide specific contact details if you
have that person's expressed consent to post his/her info, otherwise point
to generic job seekers email contact)

Cheers,
Elan