[Baypiggies] GIL for dummies

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Sat Jun 13 01:55:03 CEST 2009

Well inspite of all the "this talk is not about.." - I still found this to
be tremendously helpful in understanding python behavior in a multi-core
world.
Sure, we all prefer message passing, blah blah blah, but for a lot of web
services when you're running a whole stack of forked python interpreters to
maintain some degree of parallism every once in a while you ask yourself
"where did all my memory go?" because each process is taking 30-100 Megs,
and you start to wonder "what would I get from threads?"

The last bit about GIL contention on multi-core machines is pretty
interesting too - I'm not much into systems stuff, but I really wonder if
there's room for improvement there.

Alec