[Baypiggies] native GUI vs. web browser

Alan Westbrook voidref at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 04:20:03 CET 2009

I would hazard a guess that native GUI development has at least 10 years
left in it.

Until we get pervasive big pipes to the interwebs, it's going to be hard to
do any content manipulation 'in the cloud'.

10 years ago, I had 1.5 mbits, now, I have, uhh, 3mbit? Not exactly good
advancement on that front.

I know this is only 2 datapoints, and *some* people can get a lot more
bandwidth, but I am talking about pervasive connection speeds.

At the same time, our content creation is getting as big as our HDDs can
hold, my camera holds 8 gigs of data, and it was nearly full after the 120
minute standard def movie, if I had filmed at 720p, I probably wouldn't have
been able to capture the whole talk, and cameras are all almost 1080p these
days.

Imagine having to upload 100 Gigs of data at even 10mbit just to edit your
movies on the
web interface.

There are a lot of good things coming down the pipe for web-only interfaces,
it just seems that the desktop will have a place for a while yet.

Alan