[Baypiggies] Stylin' a big Thank You!

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Jan 6 19:33:58 CET 2008

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I find the BayPIGgies group
to be incredible!!! In my job, we never even used pychecker. Last
month, I had learned about a PEP-8 style checking script - and I
hadn't even known about PEP-8 before. I now routinely use a 'check'
script that calls pychecker and then the PEP-8 script.

It was only though these new practices that I discovered that I was
not using exception handling in a forward-compatible manner (thus the
Stylin' emails I recently sent). I had thought maybe pychecker might
have been outdated or buggy and that this picky warning wasn't
relevant. It turns out, however, because of the awesomness of
BayPIGgies, I discover the impact of that warning:

Chad Netzer gives me a great link to the Python Library (http://
docs.python.org/lib/module-exceptions.html#l2h-96), and explains how
rules have tightened up so that: isinstance(myexception, Exception)
== True.

Chris Clark gives me some template-code he uses that I can keep handy.

And, Jeff Younker gives me an excellent response, listing the broad
categories of exceptions -- Exactly what a three month noob to python
like me needed:

BaseException - An exception, but not necessarily an error
Exception(BaseException) - An error
StandardError(Exception) - Generic error
ArithmeticError(Exception) - Bad math
LookupError(Exception) - Indexing error
EnvironmentError(Exception) - Something outside python

That gives me enough understanding so that when I read the library
documents, I can understand what I'm reading from context.

In my job, we are pushing and pushing for code-reviews. We are trying
to adopt standards like PEP-8. I'm not sure if this will ever be a
company policy though.

Our business finds that extra things like this are a waste of time
and therefore resources. We have to get code out the door quickly.
They aren't technical at all and don't see how we would have to re-
write code (like above) in the future if we didn't spend the time
getting it right the first time... And, with QA resources, and
company processes, this balloons so quickly and wastes so much MORE
time in the future... *sigh*..

With BayPIGgies and a little proactivity on my part, I can fill in
the cracks as best as I can. You guys (generic for guys and gals)
really are AWESOME!

Cheers,

Glen
--
415-680-3964
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi