[Baypiggies] Program for the Future Conference - Dec. 8-9

Robert Stephenson rstephe at sun.science.wayne.edu
Mon Dec 1 05:25:38 CET 2008

This conference may be of interest to some BayPIGgies.  We are also
looking for volunteers and demos of collective intelligence tools.

On Dec. 8-9, The Tech Museum in partnership with the MIT Museum will
sponsor a major conference and design challenge entitled Program for
the Future. Its goal is as ambitious as its title. The Program for the
Future is about tools that improve our collective intelligence, and is
inspired by the vision of Doug Engelbart -- the man who invented the
computer mouse, graphical user interface and pioneered the concept of
networked computers -- to harness technology to augment human
intellect and improve our ability to work together.

On December 8 and 9 we'll hear from some of today's most provocative
speakers, then brainstorm ways to enhance our capability for problem
solving, decision making, knowledge organization, and planning in
every field of human endeavor.
Featured Speakers
     * Professor Thomas Malone, Founding Director, MIT Center for
Collective Intelligence
     * Professor Hiroshi Ishii, Associate Director, MIT Media Laboratory
     * Peter Norvig, Director of Research, Google
     * Andries van Dam, Professor, Brown University
     * Alan Kay, President, Viewpoints Research Institute
     * Steve Wozniak, co-founder, Apple Computer, Inc.
     * Dr. Peter Friess, President, the Tech Museum of Innovation
For more information, see the conference program or this blog post.
There is an early-bird price through this Monday, Dec. 1 only and
members of SD Forum, Berkeley alums and some other groups get a
special rate.  There will also be free registration for virtual
participants, and a special rate for those who wish to volunteer to
help with the 2-day event (the volunteer signup will be announced on
Dec. 2).  To register, go to programforthefuture.org/registration.
Information about the design challenge that  will launch at the
conference is attached.  I hope to see some BayPIGgies at the Program
for the Future!

- Rob Stephenson
please send replies to rstephenson at thetech.org

*  Dr. Robert S. Stephenson
*  E-learning Architect
*  rstephe at alumni.princeton.edu
*  (415) 373-5239
*  http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~rstephe
*
*  Webmaster
*  California Universal Health Care Organizing Project
*  http://singlepayernow.net
*
*  Chief Architect and Principal Investigator
*  http://OpenCourse.Org
*  Supporting virtual communities of e-learning developers.
*
*  Founder
*  The Harvey Project
*  Open Course Physiology on the Web
*  http://HarveyProject.org
*
*  Was I helpful?  Let others know:
*  http://rate.affero.net/rstephe
*
*  gpg key fingerprint:
*  4255 FB43 17C8 2B80 8074  7DB6 7DD7 939B F3F6 CB92