[Baypiggies] newbie question - automating my reporting tasks

Alden Meneses aldenm at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:45:15 CEST 2007

Hello all,

It does seem that Python is easier to lean than PERL. and I like the
interpreter.

I have some text files that I download from an AS400 and format with Excel.
Basically I convert the text to columns then sort and subtotal. The results
are then emailed to various people and also used in other reports. Haven't
really thought out how to automate this whole process but wanted to start
with a project to learn python and go from there.

I have skimmed throught the python tutorial and now getting into python in a
nutshell, 2nd edition and would welcome any thoughts or suggestions in
getting my project off the ground. I've taken programming courses in
college - C, C++, PERL, FORTRAN, PASCAL, UNIX shell scripting and its been
awhile since I had to rely on it.

Thanks in advance,
Alden