[Baypiggies] Planning remaining 2006 meetings

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Mon Aug 14 18:41:44 CEST 2006

On 8/13/06, Dennis Reinhardt <DennisR at dair.com> wrote:
> As Wes noted, JJ is leaving IronPort and the previous outcome here that our
> schedule at Google be expanded to monthly is further solidified.  Our
> remaining 2006 schedule (all at Google 7:30 p.m.) then is:
>
>    Sep. 14   Donna Snow: Plone
>    Oct. 12   --
>    Nov.  9   Russ Paielli: air traffic controller
>    Dec. 14   --
>
> We have open meetings in Oct. and Dec. at this point.  Russ, Oct. 12 is
> open at this time if you want to change your time.  Carl J. Van Arsdall has
> indicated a future interest.  Wes told me of two people may have an
> interest.  Could I ask them that they declare there interest here on the
> list or to me for follow up since I am doing the coordination?
>
> Marilyn had mentioned a possible second IDE night.  Previously, the
> earliest this would happen at Google was Jan 2007.  We now have open 2006
> slots.
>
> All: If you want to speak, please respond to the list or to me.  If you
> want to nominate someone, I favor a response to me rather than the list
> unless you have reason to believe that someone is ok with discussion about
> them.

If there's interest, I'd be happy to present at the October meeting a
talk on new features of Python 2.5 and how to use them.  The timing
seems reasonable since by October Python 2.5 should be have been out
for a month or so.

The talk should be similar to what I'm going to be presenting at
PENLUG on Aug 24 (see
<http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/WebHome>), shorn of the 2.4
parts [the PENLUG talk is 2 hours, the BayPyggies one, I assume, about
half that], and no doubt more "solidified" based on actual experience
of 2.5 use "in production" (so far, with 2.5 in beta, experience is
necessarily limited to non-production ``fooling around'' use:-).

Alex