[Baypiggies] My $3.19 . . .

Paul McGavin pch at intersight.com
Wed Apr 26 02:42:13 CEST 2006

Hello, all.

After digesting a few months of the recents posts, I am contributing my
my $3.19 cents re: new web site, locations, food and name change.
Please, all who have not yet completed the surveys please do so. We
need to hear from you. Change is coming. Let it reflect your interests.

The survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?A=123951467E24825

The results will be presented at the next meeting.

The vote is on whether or not you think we should change our name:

http://jacq.istos.com.au/python

Organization/New Web Site
----------------------------
I think the recent discussions on the list are correct: the
organization is run a bit too much by its seat-of-the-pants (and/or
skirts). A web site makeover in Plone with multiple contributing
editors would centralize communication and spread the load, while still
keeping some work flow controls - so people could 'count on' the info
that is posted on the web site in a timely manner.

We should accept Donna's offer to transfer all content to Zope/Plone as
soon as possible. I could help her with this task. Once the site is set
up, we can authorize" multiple managing editors, contributing editors
and writers. Everyone else could join the site as a member or remain
anonymous. Plone is built for this kind of work.

Location, Location, Location
-------------------------------
To be realistic, San Francisco (instead of IronPort) is probably a
better second location for all of us North Bay and East Bay pyCitizens.
If Google can sustain 10-12 meetings a year, I say do it, as long as
the meetings are videotaped and posted in an easy-to-find location
(linked from the BayPiggies site). Sounds like Google could provide
this service for us

We could use SF for SIG meetings or other topics that cannot make the
Google schedule. There is nothing wrong with 10-12 meetings per year at
Google on the second Thu. of the month and 6-8 meetings per year in SF
on the fourth Thu. of the month. Perhaps Adobe's new SF location
(Macromedia's HQ on 600 Townsend St.) could work for us.

Food for Thought
I would prefer food/drinks at the meeting. There is nothing wrong with
asking for $5.00 donations at the door *whether or not you partake of
the food*. People understand that it takes some money to make the
meetings run smoothly. For people driving long distances, pizza and
inexpensive bottled water is sufficient and much appreciated.

What's Your Name?
Sounds like this has been tabled at this time, but on 4/13, I offered
this alternative to those that seemed interested in a change: