[BangPypers] Open Source Coding Sprint: Learn machine learning by improving Gensim tutorials

Lev Konstantinovskiy lev at rare-technologies.com
Thu Oct 6 03:03:35 EDT 2016

Dear BangPypers community,

Continuing from a successful PyCon Delhi sprint
<https://in.pycon.org/cfp/dev-sprint-2016/proposals/learn-machine-learning-by-improving-gensim-tutorials~avYLe/>,
we will be running a coding sprint in Bangalore on Gensim
<https://github.com/RaRe-Technologies/gensim> open-source machine learning
package for natural language processing.

*Time:* 16 Oct 12-5pm
*Location*: Jaaga Study at Hamsah Farm <http://jaaga.in/study/>

Gensim is a machine learning package for natural language understanding.
For example, it can tell you the main topics of a web-page. It has word2vec
and doc2vec machine learning algorithms

During the coding sprint we plan to re-work our tutorials. See them listed
on our github page at
https://github.com/RaRe-Technologies/gensim/blob/develop/tutorials.md Come
to the sprint and improve them or create new ones! If you are an advanced
user and would like to contribute that would be great too.

*Prerequisites:*

Open to beginners.

No machine learning experience necessary.

Some Python knowledge required. You need to know what a for loop is but no
need to know what zip* does.

*Environment setup:*

Python 3

pip3 install cython gensim sklearn pandas matplotlib nltk pyemd jupyter

The tutorials that need improvement are in
https://github.com/RaRe-Technologies/gensim/blob/develop/tutorials.md

*Organiser:*

Lev Konstantinovskiy is a maintainer of Gensim. He is an expert in natural
language processing, is a Python and Java developer. Lev has extensive
experience working with financial institutions and is RaRe Technologies'
manager of open source communities including gensim, an open source machine
learning toolkit for understanding human language.

Regards,
Lev