[BangPypers] Online communication channel

Indradhanush Gupta indradhanush.gupta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:21:57 CEST 2015

Slack is good no doubt. But I just don't believe its the right tool for a
community. Especially because, it wont be long before we hit the 10000
message limit and the 5 free integrations limit.

Also, the fact that slack channels are unmoderated goes against its defence
for community driven initiatives.

I'd recommend to go with an IRC channel. It will be moderated, easy to log
and preserve history and always free. Regarding integrations, if there
really is a pressing need for one, I believe the community will get
together to build one for itself.

Finally, not really a point in defence of an IRC channel, but because of
its historical significance[1], my inclination is to use an IRC channel. :)

My 2 cents here.

[1] - http://www.irc.org/history.html

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:59 PM, kracekumar ramaraju <
kracethekingmaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>  BangPypers doesn't have any online channel to discuss. Most of the Open
> source/Free software projects use IRC as tool for instant communication.
>
> Lately, lot of people have asked in meetup and at various places does one
> exist one for BangPypers. Many organizations like Wordpress [1], gopher
> [2], d3js [3] are using slack and indeed most people suggested the same.
>
> IRC is default tool for most the projects/organization, but slack has whole
> lot of advantages like mobile app, multi account login, email notification
> etc ... Also slack has bridge for IRC [4].
>
> Thoughts ?
>

> [1]: https://make.wordpress.org/chat/
> [2]: http://blog.gopheracademy.com/gophers-slack-community/
> [3]: https://d3js.slack.com/
> [4]:
>
> https://slack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201727913-Connecting-to-Slack-over-IRC-and-XMPP
>
> --
>
> *Thanks & Regardskracekumar"Talk is cheap, show me the code" -- Linus
> Torvaldshttp://kracekumar.com <http://kracekumar.com>*

Indradhanush Gupta