[BangPypers] What are you using for developing desktop GUIs?

Amber Jain i.amber.jain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 06:08:56 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Vinayak Hegde <vinayakh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>

> > Is kivy comparably good enough for desktop based development as
> > desktop focused toolkits are?
> >

> Adding to that, are there any thoughts from people who have used kivy apps
> across OSes and devices ? Especially on interaction and look and feel as
> these are traditionally hard to get right across platforms.

I guess the best way is to try out some Kivy programs yourself. Kivy
developement team wrote some example apps which nicely illustrate
capabilities of Kivy:

To install on Ubuntu (Source:
http://kivy.org/docs/installation/installation-linux.html#using-software-packages
):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kivy-team/kivy
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-kivy python-kivy-examples

On Ubuntu, the examples are installed in subdirectories of
'/usr/share/kivy-examples'. Out of these examples, there are three examples
that are published on Play Store by Kivy devs. For comparison, here's how
you can compare the same apps side-by-side on Android and Ubuntu:

1. Kivy Showcase
On Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kivy.showcase
On Ubuntu: python /usr/share/kivy-examples/demo/showcase/main.py

2. Kivy Touchtracer
On Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kivy.touchtracer
On Ubuntu: python /usr/share/kivy-examples/demo/touchtracer/main.py

3. Kivy Pictures
On Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kivy.pictures
On Ubuntu: python /usr/share/kivy-examples/demo/pictures/main.py

Download/instructions for other operating systems are at
http://kivy.org/#download

--
Amber Jain
i.amber.jain at gmail.com