[BangPypers] Do you pin your requirements.txt ?

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 14:08:04 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Saager Mhatre <saager.mhatre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2013 8:46 AM, "Dhananjay Nene" <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com> wrote:
>> let me state that while I pin requirements.txt
>
> To be just a little pedantic here- you pin version of dependencies, not the
> entire requirements.txt.

Matching the pedantic spirit => Look at the topic of the thread. It
could've just ended with a No.

If you read other content here, I've talked about generating
requirements.txt using pip freeze just before "re-running a test
suite" and associating a requirements.txt with a commit (in a scenario
where one would want to use the latest and the greatest of
dependencies to reduce complacency).

> Just saying... 'cause, even though I may have
> myself used the phrase in previous responses on this thread, I personally
> prefer to specify dependencies in setup.py and avoid creating a separate
> requirements.txt file.

Fair enough. A alternative valid on its own merit.

> Either approach could very well be put down as a
> stylistic difference,

No. A stylistic difference implies no non-aesthetic differences.

The first level dependencies might have specified a dependency as
"foolib >= x.y". Guess what, now you can get foolib of x.z where z >=
y.

Both are reasonable roads to travel. They don't take you to the same place.

> but the specific compatibility of these approaches
> with different build tools (distutils, setuptools/easy_install,
> distribute/pip) makes it significant, IMHO.

That is something I would be keen to understand. (Should be a separate
thread imo).