[BangPypers] Object Oriented Programming in python

s|s supr.e.etsethi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 14:28:05 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dhananjay Nene
<dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM, s|s <supr.e.etsethi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Pranav,
> >
> > I would pose a counter question regarding object oriented programming.
> How
> > did you learn OOP concepts? I am assuming like most of us, probably
> through
> > a C++ or Java course. These courses ingrain a certain expectation of what
> > OOP should "look like". Which to me seems to be a dis-service to
> > underpinnings of Object Oriented Paradigm itself.
>
> How so ?

To me, OO Paradigm is not about having a keyword **class** in a language
but the sense of constructing an ensemble of programmed units which makes
sense together. To illustrate, GObject in Gtk+ is as much a first rate OO
implementation as any other. In fact some of the new breed of languages
like Golang do not follow conventional structure of OOP popularized by C++
and Java.

> > Python implements OOP differently from imperative languages of C family
> > like C++ and Java. The reason, I think is C++ and Java are very much
> driven
> > towards machine code efficiency whereas Python is very much about
> > developers productive.
>
> Can you cite an example ?

Lets look at integer as an example in Python (int)

class int(object)
   int(x[, base]) -> integer

which is unlike java where int is a "basic" non-class type. An explicit
upgrade to **Integer** class is required to use OOP features. This is done
with sole purpose of machine efficiency.

> >  To this end Python developers must have thought of
> > data hiding as not an important language goal.
>
> The traceability of the above "to this end" to "data hiding as not an
> important language goal" is very unclear. Could you clarify

Python, to me, seems to lean towards reducing development time. To "this
end" simple implementation is used instead of grand frameworks. Data hiding
with public, private, protected is just one of these frames. Yes again I am
critiquing Java.