[BangPypers] [X-post] Registrations are open

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed Jun 5 10:07:16 CEST 2013

Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Address verification is simply a standard mechanism of managing fiscal
> fraud risk.  While I cannot opine on specifics of either doattend or
> their payment gateway, I know for a fact some payment gateways
> (non-indian) will charge different amounts based on whether the vendor
> attempted an address verification and may choose to flag off minor
> address mismatches or may just entirely reject the transaction in case
> of major mismatches.
>
> I think the financial institutions are entirely within their rights to
> ask for such data which could make doattend require such information
> from you. It is not "necessarily" about doattend wanting to know your
> details. There does remain a possibility that the payment
> gateway/financial institution wants to manage risk by having that much
> additional check you are indeed who you are claiming to be.
>
> Having said that, no, I do not know the specifics of how doattend
> works or the exact nature of payment gateway data interchange in
> India.

[...]

In any case, I'm not sure what we can do.

We've been using doattend for a few years now and it's been mostly
reliable. Moving to something else would require volunteers to set
things up and migrate the existing registrations to the new site. Time
and people, like always, are at a premium.

If there a significant number of registrants who have this problem,
we'll have to do something. If it's low enough, we'll have to make
offline payments or something else available to people who want it and
deal with it in that way.

I'm not sure talking to doattend or things like that are going to get
us, as an entity trying to organise a conference, anywhere useful.

--
Cordially,
Noufal