[BangPypers] Evaluating Web Frameworks based on certain criteria

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Mon Apr 1 13:12:58 CEST 2013

Abdul Muneer <abdulmuneer at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I need to decide on a python web-framework based on the below listed
> criteria.
>
>    1. Ease of customization of bundled packages
>    2. Ease of development
>    3. Long term support of frameworks
>    4. Learning curve
>    5. Logging and monitoring
>    6. Clustering
>    7. Ease of deployment
>    8. Testing: unit testing libraries
>    9. DB management
>    10. User management: e.g. should be possible to tie one user id to
>    multiple entities
>    11. LDAP integration
>
> What would you recommend? Please share your experiences and insights
> related to any of these points. Ignore the points in the list that appear
> vague to you.
>
> The existing app is written in pylons 0.9 , but as we want to enhance and
> add lot more features, we would like to rebuild it on a new framework
> altogether.
>
> The current web app had too many dependencies and the new versions of
> some of these libraries have conflicting requirements. Some other
> libraries were long dead. So the choice is to rebuild entire stuff on
> a framework where we will not end up in the same situation.

Django has a track record. It's been around for a while and despite
smaller, leaner upstarts has managed to hold it's own. It has a large
community and contributed plugins. It bundles a lot of stuff with itself
leading to reduced dependency problems (and less flexibility).

You're not going to get "the best" framework that satisfies these
criteria. Also, typical management won't care about these tech. details
as long as the team making the recommendations can insulate them from
them.

[...]

--
Cordially,