[BangPypers] Evaluating Web Frameworks based on certain criteria

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:57:36 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Abdul Muneer <abdulmuneer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to decide on a python web-framework based on the below listed
> criteria.
>
>    1. Ease of customization of bundled packages
>    2. Ease of development
>    3. Long term support of frameworks
>    4. Learning curve
>    5. Logging and monitoring
>    6. Clustering
>    7. Ease of deployment
>    8. Testing: unit testing libraries
>    9. DB management
>    10. User management: e.g. should be possible to tie one user id to
>    multiple entities
>    11. LDAP integration
>
> What would you recommend? Please share your experiences and insights
> related to any of these points. Ignore the points in the list that appear
> vague to you.
>
> The existing app is written in pylons 0.9 , but as we want to enhance and
> add lot more features, we would like to rebuild it on a new framework
> altogether.
>
> The current web app had too many dependencies and the new versions of some
> of these libraries have conflicting requirements. Some other libraries were
> long dead. So the choice is to rebuild entire stuff on a framework where we
> will not end up in the same situation.

Suggesting a web-framework is an easy task, but you as an owner have to
personally
evaluate the available options that fits into your needs. Personal bias in
these kind
of questions in open forums is pretty high. Also most frameworks would
support almost
all the features that you have requested.

Having said that, i tend to lean towards django.

-V