[BangPypers] Python Jobs for Freshers (Sumit Kumar Raj)

Aditya Athalye aditya.athalye at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:29:26 CEST 2012

Sumit,
Here are some more ideas apart from the resources Pradeep Banavara
suggested.
(Warning to others: this is a longish one.)

Sumit Kumar Raj wrote:
> > Hi...Everyone ..I am very sorry if my question is not valuable asking
> > here.I attended PyconIndia2012 and learned so much but also felt I
> > need to know more things in Python to explore it more.
> > I am still a student and learning Python... ...

These are some python-based Computer Science & Engineering courses you can
review:
Introduction to Computer Science and Programming [MIT, Boston]
#
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-
introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/
Learn to Program: The Fundamentals [Univ. of Toronto]
## https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1
An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python [Rice University,
Houston]
# https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

You could also explore online programming courses:
# http://www.learnpython.org/
# http://www.learnstreet.com/lessons/languages/python

And these are a few discussions / resources you can choose to refer to. Lots
of people on the Internet with your exact same problem :)
#
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3088/best-ways-to-teach-a-beginner-to-pro
gram
#
http://www.quora.com/Python-programming-language-1/How-can-I-learn-to-progra
m-in-Python
# http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

> > ...any jobs for freshers who can do some work and at the same time learn
also.
> > If really not then what should I do from now as I have one year of my
> > study left and I really want to get a job related to Python?

I too am a newbie to Python, and I suspect a job will be hard to come by
unless one has something solid to show - like a GitHub repo with code for a
non-trivial application one has written from scratch. And/or one could take
a shot at problem sets and post the results on a blog (or GitHub repo).
Something like this:  http://wiki.python.org/moin/ProblemSets.

The point is that one's work should demonstrate interest in and
understanding of both, technical aspects and real-world skills. By
"technical aspects" I mean fundamentals of computation, python syntax etc.
and by real-world skills I mean familiarity with using DVCS, APIs,
third-party services etc... something on the lines of the skills this task
requires: http://www.helpshift.com/jobs/task/.

Having said that, you could also try to ask around for companies that offer
programming apprenticeships. As a beginner, I'm finding it useful to
cultivate the attitude and learning process of an apprentice. I've been
collecting some links on this subject, which you can refer to here:
http://adityaathalye.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/the-jedi-protocol/.

Good luck!
Best,
Aditya