[BangPypers] The myth of free software

Gopalakrishnan Subramani gopalakrishnan.subramani at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:47:42 CEST 2011

Intention of open source/free software is to save the cost, not to generate
revenue. You can save the cost by using it out-of-box software or you can
customize it to your need so that you will not produce the complete clone of
it.

My strong point is that "Generating money is left to a business/individual".

People need money to survive.. No one offer free money/fuel/electricity/food
etc. The open source developer passionate about doing the things which they
are interested. Its like someone teaching to poor students or illiterates on
week-end or end of the day after busy work for free of cost.

No one pays for Django/Rails as a web framework, they are still open source
& free. No one ask money for doing a interesting plug-in or library for
these frameworks. When business wants to create a web site using these
framework, business pays for that. It is called consulting or out-sourcing
that is what Ponnappa has mentioned.

Open source is not a market.. It is a choice. You choose it or ignore it
with your own wisdom.

I would happy to invest in Visual Studio for 1500 USD than programming in
SharpDevelop. I would very happy to use SVN/Mercurial free than buying a TFS
stack for 50000 USD. I feel more productive with my customized emacs than
using TextMate and investing on Mac's.

So coming back to your observation, you missed one more point.

There are matured business/individual who can decide when to go for open
source/closed-commercial tools by choice. I least bothered about 'idiot' or
'ignorant' you have mentioned.. I would advise them to learn first than
discussing in this forum..

PS:

OP should calm down and mind his words!!

Regards,

Gopalakrishnan Subramani