[BangPypers] Introducing a "new" project

Philippe May phil.nabble at hanjinet.org
Thu Mar 3 19:12:10 CET 2011

Hi Shekhar,

>> [..]
>> The main idea behind Hanji (that's the name of the project) is:
> Nice name :-).

Thanks, lots of research behind that name ;) . Also, staying in Bangalore the very little of Hindi i knew almost vanished :) .

>>  embedding a web server framework in all kinds of devices. So, it sits in a category somewhere between desktop and web applications. It's built around Django and Twisted.
> Wish somewhere in docs you will mention, justification of choosing these
> components. Especially to answer questions like why not flask instead of
> Django , why Twisted, why not just Twisted.
>> [..]
> Best,
> Shekhar

Ok, i'll develop in the documentation. I started with Django only. When more networking functionalities were added (websockets, peer-to-peer, replication), the threads and request/response model reached its limits and Twisted was the straightforward choice: robustness, portability, flexibility, support for many protocols, all that in a single Python package.

New promising projects appeared recently that were not available then (greenlets, Flask, etc), and might be valuable additions if they can fit. Switching completely to them require strong arguments though.

As for keeping Django: one main reason was for its nice OO-RDBMS mapper, and with the plans for dropping SQL it could become optional. But it is a good drive in Python community and has many applications we can reuse.

Cheers,
Philippe