[BangPypers] [OT] language fanaticism

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:37:26 CEST 2011

Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> let us look at all points of view. In an ideal world, one chooses the
> best tool for the job at hand. No quarrel. But the world is not ideal.
> Compromises have to be made (or trade-offs). Given a task one has to
> take into account deadlines, resources/skills available etc etc. Maybe
> for a particular webapp Django is overkill - but do I have the time to
> learn something more suitable (or the ability)?

It's sometimes an option to simply use an app already available
(e.g. Wordpress for blogging) rather than to go out and build a custom
one. If building and deploying (and maintaining) a Django or Flask (or
rails for that matter) blogging app takes 6 hours whereas setting up a
wordpress blog takes 5 minutes, what would you chose?

In the ideal world, all apps would be super awesome and written in our
favourite languages. In the *real* world, good solutions exist in
multiple languages and not using them based just because they're not in
ones favourite language is language fanaticism and it's a bad thing.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in

I can resist everything except temptation. -Oscar Wilde