[BangPypers] Suggestion for GUI

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Mon Jan 10 03:25:25 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Narendra Sisodiya
<narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharmony at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Narendra Sisodiya
>> <narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
>> > At the same time, I do not want to use any restricted Libraries.. Can
>> > somebody explain license of PyQT ?
>> >
>> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/pyqt4ref.html#licenseAll
>> > I want my code to be GPLv3.
>> >

>>  If you want the code to be in GPL, then where is the problem/confusion ?
>>

> Ok, So why that commercial license they have listed, for what purpose one
> should need that license..?
> I mean, I can code using PyQT and give to my customer and he can install all
> the needed libraries..

1. Some companies don't want anything associated with with Free
software, they would rather
pay money to keep their entire software stack "clean".

2. Allows Riverbank to make money from users who want to ship closed
source software developed
using PyQt.

Actually, if you are keen on keeping the source code closed, you may
want to look at PySide(http://www.pyside.org/)
which is a Python binding to Qt from Nokia, the owners of QT, the
company and brand.
Pyside is LGPL[1] and also PySide is designed to be a drop-in
replacement for PyQt.

+PG

[1] http://www.pyside.org/about/