[BangPypers] Distributing a python project as a binary.

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Sun Jan 9 05:37:51 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, kunal <kunal.t2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am just curious , and do not intend to start any flame wars.
> If a company wants to use python in a commercial project and does not want
> the source code to go public (i.e closed source ).
> How would one go about packaging the python project.
>
> Also as i see it, java too generates byte codes like python which is then
> interpreted by the JVM . Still i see a lot of projects using java and
> distribute
> them as jar files.
>
> Is there something similar in the python world like a jar file ?

Or you could write the "secret sauce" part of the application in
something like Cython
and compile it into a SharedObject/DLL and use it as a library from
your python code.

This has the dual advantage of "obfuscating" your python code as binary and
getting performance boost of a compiled language.

Or if you are a java shop you can write Jython code and generate .jar/.war files
too. Of course, if Java is indeed your poison, there are
almost-as-sweet-as-python
languages to make the pain go away - like Scala, while being almost as
performant
as Java on the JVM.

IMO, If the company is paranoid about protecting "IP", avoid using
scripting languages.

+PG